Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Convention FINALLY starts!

It's Wednesday morning! Which means the NABJ (National Association of Black Journalists) Convention officially starts. All of the preparation and preliminary work I and the staff have done will finally be seen throughout the remainder of the week.

Firstly, let me start by talking about a funny comparison. I was told yesterday that I have a celebrity twin and was mistaken for Andre 3000. The concierge at the hotel thought I was there to perform at the convention. I've heard this comparison before from a friend but I just don't see it at all. Rajon Rondo...I can understand how people say I look similiar. Chris Tucker...maybe when my voice is really high, but not looks. Mr. Burns...I hate anyone who has ever made this comparison lol.

Yesterday I was walking into the hotel and I spotted a familiar looking guy who I thought was just one of the members who was here for the convention but didn't put two and two together until he had walked pass me and was gone. I thought about it for a second after he passed and realized I had just walked past Detroit Pistons president, Joe Dumars. Also a NBA Hall of a Famer, Joe Dumars gave me my first star struck moment at the convention. Still upset that I didn't get a chance to speak to him.

While down here, I'm trying to make as many connections as possible. Still waiting to talk to one of the sports journalist who is here in regards to being my mentor but I haven't gotten the chance yet.

Tonight is the all-white party at the poolside of the Marriott. The event should be packed judging by the small size of the pool area and the many individuals who plan to attend.

I definitely need to get a new phone. My blackberry has cut off on me continuously since I've been down here, which is not a good look when you have people calling you to get logistical information and when you're giving out your number to professionals. Can't miss that call! Whoever it's coming from. A BROTHA NEED A JOB AFTER THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment