Wednesday, August 12, 2009

End of Convention


Ok, so I lied. I didn't have time to blog everyday about my experiences at the convention but just to update...I met plenty of people in the journalism industry who I admire and networked with numerous individuals.

The event I was in charge of, "Salute to Excellence," went very well even though there was some confusion at first. Usually I'm not the loudest person in the room but I had to step out of my comfort zone and put on the journalist cap which makes me break out of the usual laid back and reserved Royce and become aggressive, persistent, won't accept no for an answer Royce Strahan.

By the end of the convention I couldn't believe I was getting paid to do something that I love. Working with other journalist who are on the same path as me and want nothing more than to get their big break was a priceless opportunity. Many people have the same dream but never manage to implement the actions necessary to make their dream a reality. The people I encountered at the convention were completely different. Every single individual had drive, passion, and a desire to just break out of the norm and become a leading figure in their specific field.

The last day of the convention brought emotions to most of the staff. We all pretty much spent most of the day working with each other without any tempers flaring or problems arising. Our staff was the epitome of a team that worked well together to plan the largest event for journalists of color. I came to love this organization for the things they have accomplished and the impact the organization has had on journalists of color around the world.

Unfortunately my "vacation" only lasted so long. Coming back to my dorm at Howard, I realized I had been locked out of my room as a result of not having fall housing. It's amazing how things can all of a sudden change in the blink of an eye. One minute, I'm living it up in Tampa Bay and the next I'm a homeless college student trying to exhaust every option in order to have a place to sleep.

Luckily, a friend allowed me to stay with them until I came back to Chicago. If I didn't learn anything else in Tampa, I learned to let people know how much I appreciate their help when they go out of their way to assist me in anyway. Whether it's a server in a restaurant or someone who helps me with a situation with a smile on their face, I'm sure to let people know I appreciate the time they take to make my experiences in life a little easier.

I'm now back home in Chicago, hoping to hear something back from the places I've applied to live for the fall semester. Hopefully everything works out. Pray for me...to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment